Cividep Contribution to Comparative Study on the Impact of Tanneries on Communities in North and South India
Cividep India contributed to a report titled ‘Watch your step: A study on the social and environmental impacts of tanneries in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, India’ published by the Change Your Shoes campaign. The Change Your Shoes campaign is a partnership of 15 European and 3 Asian organisations. It believes that workers in the global shoe supply chain have a right to a living wage and safe working conditions, and that consumers have the right to safe products and transparency in the production of their shoes. This study focuses on the impacts of Indian leather tanneries – on nearby communities, on the local environment and on tannery workers. Interviews with workers and other stakeholders were conducted and samples of soil and water around tanneries were collected to document environmental pollution and health hazards, particularly those connected to the toxic chemical hexavalent chromium. The research was carried out in the two Indian states of Uttar Pradesh (Kanpur and Agra) in the North and Tamil Nadu (Peranambut, Ambur and Chrompet) in the South.
- Report on Conditions of Migrant Workers in Bangalore’s Garment Industry
- Mapping ‘invisible’ shoemakers in south India: RMIT Round-Table in Vellore
- National Conference on Business Responsibilities for Childcare in Workplaces
- Regional Risk Assessment of the Electronics Industry in India
- Implementation of Sexual Harassment at Workplace Act, 2013 in the garment sector – an Event Report